Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Adoption

Well it's been a VERY long week at school! My kids have Spring Fever really bad ... and I guess I do too!

I've had several people ask me if we have considered adopting, plus it came up in both therapy sessions. The answer is Yes, we have considered it. But the thing is, the doctors haven't said that we will never get pregnant. Ryle and I have already agreed that if worse comes to worse, then we will adopt. However, we aren't at that stage in the process yet.

I have been thinking about it a lot because my dad says that you don't have to give birth to be a mother. Which I totally get! But the truth is, it's still an expensive process. You know me, I love Google; I've spent a lot of time not only looking up infertility issues, but adoption as well. I've read that domestic adoption can range from $10,000 to $50,000. I mean that's a crazy amount! Our treatment plan right now is only about $2000 and we can't afford it at the moment. So it makes sense for us to stick with the treatments. Farther down the line, if we still haven't made any progress, then we will more than likely move on to the adoption plan.

I have been thinking that maybe we should start the adoption process. I mean the wait for an infant can be forever because you have to be chosen by the birth parents, or so that's what I've read anyway. Plus you have to do tons of paperwork and a home study. Either way, it's a long and stressful process. Ryle and I haven't talked about starting the paperwork. If I had to guess, I would bet that he would NOT want to start because he feels that our own pregnancy is within reach. I, on the other hand, feel that our own pregnancy is not within reach. I feel as though it will never happen.

I do not have a problem adopting. I would prefer to have an infant if we do adopt. I can't really say why other than if the baby can't grow inside of me, I at least want to be there from the beginning as much as possible. I would love the adopted baby as my own - that much I do know.

No comments:

Post a Comment