Wednesday, July 20, 2011

After

Let me just start this post by saying that it doesn't really have anything to do with my infertility journey - it's just me trying to figure out why I liked a book.

Those of you that know me, know that I love to read. I always have, and I hope that I always will. I normally read books like the Twilight Saga or the Sookie Stackhouse Series - basically books about Vampires and Love.

I was in desperate need of a new book last week, so my wonderful husband took me to Books-a-Million. I actually went to get the new Sookie Stackhouse book, but I ended up leaving with two other new books as well. One of them was called After by Amy Efaw. I didn't read the back cover of the book or anything while I was in the store. It was on the sale table, so I grabbed it on my way to the checkout.

Summary: (Taken from Amazon)

An infant left in the trash to die. A teenage mother who never knew she was pregnant . . .
Before That Morning, these were the words most often used to describe straight-A student and star soccer player Devon Davenport: responsible, hardworking, mature. But all that changes when the police find Devon home sick from school as they investigate the case of an abandoned baby. Soon the connection is made—Devon has just given birth; the baby in the trash is hers. After That Morning, there’s only one way to define Devon: attempted murderer.

And yet gifted author Amy Efaw does the impossible— she turns Devon into an empathetic character, a girl who was in such deep denial that she refused to believe she was pregnant. Through airtight writing and fast-paced, gripping storytelling, Ms. Efaw takes the reader on Devon’s unforgettable journey toward clarity, acceptance, and redemption.


Yeah, it doesn't really fit in with my "normal" books. But let me just say that this book made me cry. I'm a woman that can't get pregnant, so after reading the first few chapters, well to put it mildly - I was mad. How could someone throw their baby in the trash can? Seriously? And I know that I have heard that people actually do this - I just never thought about it until I read this book. But when you think about people throwing their baby away, do you think of normal people? No! You think that person is automatically bad. I mean they have to be a "bad" person to throw their baby in a black trash bag, right?! So as I read more and more of the book, I was conflicted. I was starting to like the girl who threw her baby away. It's not that I wanted her to get away with it, but I didn't really want her to spend her life in prison either.

I guess I feel like the reason I liked the books was because it really allows you into the mother's mind. It let's you see things from her point of view. You see how she was in denial about being pregnant. You also get to see all of the events that led up to the birth and then the unfortunate trash can. And yes, the baby survived. The ending shocked me, but it made me happy as well. I'm not going to say what happened at the end - just in case someone wants to read it - but I was very proud of the girl in the book. I just wish that the people who aren't ready to be mother's would consider adoption first because there are so many loving people out in the world that would give anything to have a baby.

If you like to read, this is really a good book and an easy read - just my opinion :)

Now I am going to get ready to go to the movies. My coworkers and I are going to have a "girls evening" before school starts. Have a great night everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment